top of page

Mold Inspections

Whether it is a cold, damp winter or a warm, humid summer, activities at home can result in moisture indoors and the appearance of mold.

Mold can grow on walls, clothes, books, toys, and even CDs. It can turn prized possessions into musty relics that only look fit for the garbage.

But is it also a health hazard? What effects can mold have on a person’s body?

The Hidden Health Hazard

 Molds are a form of fungus. There are many different types, and they can occur both indoors and outdoors. Molds produce spores, which spread by floating around in the air. There is no way to prevent spores, and they can persist in conditions where mold itself cannot grow. 

Mold spores thrive in environments that are moist and warm, so when they land on a damp spot, they begin to grow.  As they grow, they digest the material they are "living" on. 

Mold can pose a health problem, especially for people with an allergy, an existing respiratory problem, or a weakened immune system.

Breathing problems

As mold grows, spores, cells, fragments, and unstable organic compounds can enter the air. They can produce allergens, irritants, and mycotoxins. Some of these can be toxic, especially to individuals who have a sensitivity to them. These particles can irritate the lungs, nose, and throat, especially in a person who already has a breathing problem, asthma, or a chronic lung condition.


A person with a sensitivity or allergy to any mold-related particles may react. Mold allergies can produce similar symptoms to other allergies, such as hay fever, or seasonal allergy. In these, too, airborne substances can affect the upper respiratory tract.


Symptoms include:

  • a blocked or runny nose

  • an itchy nose

  • an itchy throat

  • sneezing

  • watery eyes

People with a mold allergy as well as asthma have a higher chance of having an asthma attack when there is mold in the environment.

A higher volume of dust can increase the risk of dust mites, which can also trigger an allergic reaction in some people.

Mold cannot always be seen, so getting a mold test from a licensed professional is always advised.  Our inspector is certified to collect and have tested suspected mold from households.  

bottom of page